Sunday, July 12, 2020

Govind Viswas

Govind Vishwas from Bhopal, did his Masters of Visual Arts (MVA) in Painting, Bachelors in Visual Arts from The Maharaja Sayajirao University, Baroda 2010-2012. He has also studied Bachelors of Fine Arts from Govt. Institute of Fine Arts, Indore(GIFA). Govind has co-curated and participated in many group shows and workshops and conducted many solo shows.

He has won the prestigious Pollack Krasner Foundation Grant Award, New York, USA 2012 and in 2018.
His works are present in:

• Govt. institute of fine arts, Indore.
• ITM university, Gwalior
• Private collection in, Bhopal.
• Collection at Bharat bhavan museum, Bhopal.
• Collection at Rajeev sethi private museum , New Delhi
• Austria, London, USA, Bangalore, Mumbai, Baroda

Artist's statement:

My work is oriented to the exploration of natural phenomena and their impact on the physical environment. The relationship between growth and transformation and the complexity of the structures they engender, guide my practice. My earlier works based on time and space. The brand logos and various other symbols we come across, suggest some directions, time, volume or scale. The imagery is suggestive of landscape elements and textures with multiple readings. Forms are used to express aspects of reality or failings, which other can easily connect to visual forms, are also a kind of language that people connect to more easily.
My works Space is important to me, and in my life. My family also faced re-habitation during the separation of Bangladesh in 1971. I heard lots of story form my grandmother. My earlier works based on time and space. The brand logos and various other symbols we come across, suggest some directions, time, volume or scale. The imagery is suggestive of landscape elements and textures with multiple readings.
Just the way we learn a written and spoken language, so do we learn a visual language. Culture plays an important part in this.
A map is a visual representation of an area. Maps may represent real or imaginary space. They may be dynamic, interactive, two or three dimensional. In many images, some maps represent real, physical space which exist and some don’t.
Most of my new works are also related to personal space and incidents. They reflect various issues that I have been dealing with.
Land has been in focus in my family for reasons of dispute.
I work on many pieces at the same time. I go back and making installations, wall works and drawings. I work either in small or big scale. I feel that this organic process of making things, allows me to do research, to challenge myself and to renew my work constantly. I get my inspiration through nature, architecture and design. Following the phenomena of the universe, I induce movement in materials in order to create natural architectonics. I focus on their specific properties color, structure and plasticity through manipulations layering for growth and accretion. The fluidity of molten rubber is symbolic of the ease of living and various life processes, it also conveys movement. Spatial temporaity is a recurring motif in these with motley objects in unknown hybrid environment pulsating with raw energy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Henry Grahn Hermunen

Experts from a short interview with Henry Grahn Hermunen from Finland-Sweden   Henry Grahn Hermunen is a contemporary artist living in F...